Traveling Tips: Airplane Etiquette

Well lovelies, today's the day I officially start my Disney Adventure! I'm so pumped right now, and a little bit sad, but that's to be expected when you're moving to another country for a year. I know I'm going to have a blast though, so here goes nothing!

As for my blog, I thought I would be fun to share some tips for flying since I'll be spending a good chunk of my morning at the airport/ on a plane.

*I want to preface this post with the acknowledgement that I am not a professional on planes or etiquette, I'm just an avid people watcher and frequent flyer. I've been on all sorts of flights before (some as short as 2 hours, and some as long as 24 so I feel pretty comfortable with everything I'm about to share) However I know some of you might disagree and I'm cool with that too! These are just the sorts of things I've noticed in my travels.

blog lovelymissmegs megan airplane

1. Sit where you're told: This is my biggest pet peeve, and it's one of the simplest tasks you can do. Step 1: look at your boarding pass. Step 2: look at what seat you are assigned to and Step 3: sit in THAT seat, not whichever seat you want! Nothing is more frustrating than being assigned a window or isle seat only to find someone has stolen it from you. This is not cool people. Instead try to book a window or isle seat ahead of time, or ask the clerk when you are checking in if they have any available seats that they can move you to instead.

2. The seating rule: This is just my theory and you can agree or disagree, but my view is such; if you have the window seat, be happy because not only do you get to look outside, but you have somewhere to rest your head if you want to sleep. If you are in an isle seat, you are fortunate because you have the isle for more leg space. Just be sure to be courteous of people walking by or the flight attendants with their carts. If you are in the middle, you should get both of the middle arm rests! Everyone else has an arm rest plus an added bonus, so I think it's only fair that you get both middle arm rests. Plus when the people on either side of the seat decide they want the inner arm rest it greatly decreases on the person in the middle's personal space.

3. No scents is good sense: Ok, this should go without saying but please make sure you are wearing deodorant! B.O. is not cool when you are in such close quarters and it will make everyone around you feel very uncomfortable. That being said, try not to wear any super strong perfumes/ colognes as well. Instead keep everything in moderation and if you really want to put on that strong perfume, then wait until you are off the plane. The same goes for eating anything with a super strong smell, for example cough drops. I know it might sound mean, but some people get headaches from strong smells, while others can be allergic all together. So try to keep your scents mild and it will make the flight enjoyable for those sitting around you.

4. Go to the bathroom BEFORE you board the plane: I sound like my mom when I say this but we all know there is always that one person who is guilty of breaking this rule! The only way I can excuse your need to go to the washroom on the plane is if you are on a long flight for example from Canada to Australia. But even then, you should still go BEFORE you leave so you cut your bathroom visits down. No one likes getting up when they're trying to watch a movie/ eat/ sleep. So please use your common sense.

5. Respect the flight attendants: These people are pretty much your maid, server, bar tender and parent for the duration of your flight so please be kind and patient with them. They have over 100 people to look after and are given a very small space to do it in. So be patient if you need them, and at the end of every flight be sure to flash them a smile and say "Thanks!"

6. Walk with your carry-on luggage in front of you:
When boarding the plane walk with your carry-on luggage in front of you and low to the ground. Often when people hold their purses over their shoulders or backpacks behind them they can accidentally hit nearby passengers. By keeping your carry-on in front of you, you will have more control of it's movements. And if you do accidentally hit someone just apologize nicely.

7. There's no need for a stampede: Once the plane has landed and the seat belt sign has been turned off, don't everyone rush to leave at once. Some people, like me, who are shorter need more time to get their luggage down from those overhead bins and if you are pushing forward it means we are either going to be trampled as you try and push through, or we will get yelled at for holding you up for a whole 15 seconds. If you are going to be in a rush, plan an extra 10 minutes into your arrival time. That being said, please don't take your sweet time to put your luggage away either.

8. If you see someone struggling, help them out: this tip goes along with #7 but if you see someone struggling with putting away or getting their luggage help them out. I'm sure they will really appreciate it. The same goes when filling out those customs forms. If the person beside you has never filled one out, or if they don't have a pen, then help them out instead of sitting there ignoring them. A little kindness goes a long way.

9. Look before you recline: I know it's tempting to push your seat back in full reclining position the moment you are able to, but be sure to check who's sitting behind you first. Does this person have a child on their lap? Are they in the middle of eating their meal? If so then try reclining your seat half way so that you both can be happy. And again, be sure to assess the situation before doing so! No one needs their kid to get hit in the head or a hot coffee on their lap!

10. Alcohol and altitude don't mix: I know it's tempting to have a few drinks before/ during the flight, and by all means go for it. I'm not here to rain on your parade. Just make sure you do it in moderation because you don't want to be the obnoxious drunk on the plane. Also keep in mind that the altitude of the plane will make the alcohol have a greater effect on your body so you will feel drunk faster.

However the most important thing to remember when flying is to just relax and have fun! Read a book, watch a movie, or have a nap because you spent the night before packing instead of sleeping (guilty!!!). Whatever it is you're doing or wherever it is you're going, I hope you will keep these tips in mind and always have a safe and happy trip!

Cheers everyone!
♥ Megan